I’m working on a block puzzle game. The objective is to cover the entire puzzle area with blocks of various sizes. So far I’ve got the basic structure up (it will only run in web browsers that support the Canvas HTML element, so Safari, Firefox, Google Chrome, and maybe Opera). Scoring for the game depends on what types of blocks are used (you’ll notice those little 1 by 1 squares are worth no points).
I’m looking for feedback on how to improve the puzzles.
Some ideas I’ve had are:
- Restrict what playing pieces the players can use.
- Randomize the playing pieces to which the players have access.
- Allow more access to different kinds of shapes, such as triangles, pentiminoes, heximinoes, etc…
Here is some feedback I’ve received as well from other sources.
- Change the images that turn into the blocks into pictures of the blocks. @joshgiesbrecht
- Change from scoring blocks to a par system (like golf) where players get scored on the number of blocks used. @joshgiesbrecht
- Make the point that one gets a higher score from using larger pieces more obvious. @joshgiesbrecht