You will want these things to get started:
- A good text editor. I recommend Programmer’s Notepad for a PC, and TextWrangler for Mac, both of which are free.
- A language reference. I personally like Mozilla’s reference here,
- Some understanding of how web technologies work. This reference guide, again by Mozilla, is useful.
- A folder on your computer dedicated to your projects. It is a good idea to be organized from the beginning.
- Blocks of time in your schedule to spend working on programming. Programming is something that will take concentration and focus, and is hard to learn in 10 minute intervals.
- An understanding of the design cycle is useful.