published by David Wees on Thu, 02/24/2011 - 09:45
A colleague asked me today if I could find a documentary we watched last year in Science. She has students working in her Global Challenges elective course, and they told her about the video we watched in Science last year. I told her sure, and started Googling for the documentary. About 20 minutes later, I'm about to give up because I can't find it. I remember then that I probably linked to the documentary on my lesson plan website from last year, and sure enough, I find it in a substitute lesson plan. Total search time on my lesson plan website? About 2 minutes.
published by David Wees on Thu, 02/17/2011 - 12:25
My colleague just shared an interesting analogy to describe the relationship between students and teachers. I've heard this analogy before, but she said it so eloquently, I just thought I'd share.
"Our students are like seeds we've planted. We water them, we give them fertilizer, we make sure they have the right amount of sunlight, but at some point you just have to sit back and watch them grow."
published by David Wees on Tue, 02/15/2011 - 16:01
The Mathematics and Multimedia Blog Carnival is now accepting articles for the next issue which I will be hosting at the end of February. Although any math article might be accepted, below are the revised criteria for blog carnival selection. The following will be the characteristics of the articles that will be prioritized.
published by David Wees on Sun, 02/13/2011 - 17:08
In the past few years, there has been a push for open source content, and enough resources have been created so that schools can completely do away with the traditional textbook. However, adoption of open source content has been low, and the vast majority of schools are still relying on tradtional textbooks.
published by David Wees on Fri, 02/11/2011 - 15:13
My colleague asked me if I could find a Wheel of Fortune game he could use with his 1st grade students. I looked around for a while and found something which sort of worked here. The problem was, the code was kind of broken and needed a lot of repair. However it was the best thing I could find, so I spent a few hours and tidied it up.